Now that summer is here, you might be wondering “what do I need to take to the beach with a dog?” It’s not a secret that Chuy LOVES the beach. Since we are true beach bums, I’ve put together a list of the must have items for the beach with your dog. In addition to this packing list, check out our Tips for Taking Your Dog to the Beach.
1. Collapsible Bowl – This might be the most important thing to pack in your beach bag. Your dog needs somewhere to drink water. This leads me to #2!
2. Water – We always take several bottles of water with us in the cooler or a beach bag like this. – You can freeze a few the night before so you have cool water to drink. Throw in some bottles for drinking and an extra for rinsing excess sand/salt off your dog.
3. Poop Bags – Please clean up after your dogs! Nothing irritates me more than pet parents that don’t do this! Especially at the beach where nobody wants to find a surprise under the sand!
4. Umbrella or Beach Tent – If you’re spending an entire day at the beach, you definitely need this. You never want your dog to be in direct sun all day. Set up a beach umbrella or tent for them to stay cool in the shade. I really like this umbrella/tent hybrid!
5. Wipes – I bring my Burt’s Bees Dog Wipes to clean up Chuy’s face and paws after a day in the sand. Sand can get under your dog’s nail bed and cause irritation so be sure to wipe them thoroughly!
6. Beach Blanket – I always set up a beach blanket so Chuy can sit on it and not sit directly on the hot sand. I put this under our umbrella along with his water bowl. You may also want a beach towel like these microfiber towels to dry your dog after a swim!
7. Sunscreen – Did you know that dogs can get sunburn? Chuy has thick fur so he doesn’t burn but the insides of his ears will get pink from the sun. Sunscreen is a must especially if your dog has pink/white skin or thin fur.
8. Toys – I always throw in a ball or two when we go to the beach. If your dog likes the water (Chuy doesn’t!), then get a floating one like the Chuckit fetch toy.
9. Food & Treats – This one really depends on how long you’ll be at the beach. If it’s all day, I definitely recommend bringing food. I always bring treats regardless of how long.
10. First Aid Kit – This is something you should have in your car at all times anyways. Hopefully you don’t need it but it’s smart to have a first-aid kit handy! Here’s how to create a DIY first-aid kit for your pet.